Summary of successful grant proposals received and awarded during 2013.
The purpose of the IMA Small Grant Scheme is to facilitate research activity in all areas of applicable mathematics. The scheme is open to all members of the wider mathematics community. Non members require a member co-applicant. The available budget for 2013 was £12,000.
The nominal limit at the Research Committee’s discretion is £600 per application or £1,200 when the grant would enable a meeting with a mathematical theme to take place.
The Research Committee processed 33 applications in 2013 and approved payments totalling £11,612.00. They paid 21 applicants all or part of the grants requested and declined 12. Nineteen recipients sent in reports about their funded activities during the year. Many do not report on their activities until the following year but all must do so before applying for another grant.
Applications approved or partially approved for 2013 are shown from the Quick Link ‘Support and Grants’ on the IMA website homepage.
IMA Small Grant Scheme reports
Grant requests in 2013 were paid in full or in part to support the following activities:
- to support Dr Joan Saldaña's (Associate Professor in Applied Mathematics, University of Girona, Catalonia, Spain) first research visit to the Department of Mathematics, University of Sussex.
- to cover the fees of four research students to attend MAFELAP 2013, the fourteenth conference on the Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications will be organised and run at Brunel University in June 2013.
- to attend a workshop, "Limit Theorems for Dynamical Systems", Centre Interfacultaire Bernoulli, EPF Lausanne, 3-7 June 2013.
- to pay towards running costs of the 8th International Conference on Preconditioning Techniques for Scientific and Industrial Applications on 19 - 21 June 2013 in Oxford.
- to participate in the International Workshop on New Trends in Solid Mechanics: Coupled Fields and Multi-Scale Modelling, June 24-28, 2013, hosted by the Centro International de Encuentros Matematicos, Castro Urdiales, Cantabria, Spain.
- to contribute to the cost of attending the Canadian Mathematical Society Summer Meeting, June 4 - 7 in Halifax, to speak in the session "Ergodic Theory, Dynamical Systems and Applications."
- to pay towards the costs of travelling to the Central European Quantum Information Processing conference (CEQIP) in the Czech Republic in June 2013.
- to pay towards attending the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in healthcare and e-health (IEEE CICARE 2013) which is being held as part of the IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI’2013).
- to pay towards the costs of attending a conference, "Applied Topology", to be held at the Banach Center in Bedlewo, Poland in July 2013.
- to pay towards the costs of attending the Central European Workshop (in Quantum Optics) in June in Stockholm.
- to partly cover expenses to fund a 2 week trip to the Aspen Center for Physics in June 2013 to attend a 5 week workshop on "Physics of Functional Biological Assemblies: Pushing, Pulling and Sensing".
- to pay the expenses of young mathematicians to attend a workshop 'Singularities in Geometry and Applications' at the ICMS in Edinburgh in September 2013.
- to contribute towards the cost of attending the SIAM Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry in Colorado State University, 1 - 4 August 2013.
- to visit New Mexico in August 2013 to collaborate with Professor Nitant Kenkre to learn of his work in the statistical mechanics of transport in physical, chemical and biological systems using projection operator techniques to futher his work in applied life sciences.
- to contribute towards the costs of a meeting to celebrate the career of Professor John Blake in his retirement year.
- to pay towards the cost of organising an 'Advances in Financial Mathematics' workshop at Brunel University on Saturday, 28 September 2013.
- to attend the Division of Plasma Physics (DPP) Meeting of the American Physical Society in Denver in November 2013 in connection with mathematically modelling energy-conserving hybrid kinetic-fluid models.
- to present a paper in a minisymposium on Iterative Methods for Ill-Posed Problems at the 27th IFIP TC7 Conference on System Modelling & Optimization, Klagenfurt, Austria, September 2013.
- to present at the Third Workshop on Latent Gaussian Models & Applications in Reykjavik, September 2013 on his work on the analysis and prediction of sea-level rise due to melting in the Antarctic ice sheet.
- to contribute towards the travel & accommodation costs of invited keynote speakers to the Research International Symposium on Analysis of Partial Differential Equations in Liverpool, 16-17 December 2013.
- to pay the registration fee for attending the 22nd Annual Conference of the European Association for Computer Science Logic, Turin, 2-5 September 2013.