Advice useful for both your applications for a Scholarship and a teacher training place
Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarship
“How can I challenge my pupils if I am not prepared to challenge myself….” – Maths Scholar
The IMA is delighted that the Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarship scheme will continue into 2018/2019. The scheme will encourage applications from anyone with excellent mathematical knowledge combined with the flair and creativity to be an inspirational maths teacher. The Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships are for those who commence their secondary mathematics initial teacher training which leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in the academic year 2018/19.
Over the years that the scheme has been running, a thriving social media community has developed on Twitter and Facebook, and we are now on Instagram and LinkedIn. The Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarship Scheme website gives more detail about what the Scheme can offer in addition to the tax free support available in your training year, such as membership of professional bodies; training courses and access to resources.
To apply, complete the Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships online application, which can also be found via the Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarship Scheme website.
Please note that we cannot accept hard copies of the application form. In addition to this, you cannot save an application when you’re part way through its completion.
As a potential Scholar your excellent subject knowledge and first class communication skills will inspire passion and confidence in the next generation. But don’t think you aren’t good enough to apply – many of our Scholars didn’t!
Maths has never been more important to every aspect of modern life. In its recent Vision report the Royal Society concludes “Science and mathematics are central to understanding and interpreting many of the global challenges the world faces…..Being educated to a high standard in mathematics and science is likely to maximise young people’s chances of success, both personally and professionally, in an increasingly competitive society”
Maths Scholars community
Membership of the Maths Scholars community gives you:
- Access to superb professional resources with two years free membership of professional bodies
- Membership of a like minded and passionate community of Maths enthusiasts
- Support, inspiration and new ideas
- Recognition of your potential and will boost your confidence
- An improved CV that will set you apart from the crowd
- £22K tax-free bursary during your initial teacher training (ITT) year
- Followed by two later payments of at least £5K (enhanced payments of £7.5K if teaching in specified areas in England) in your 3rd and 5th year of teaching, providing you have taught in a state-funded school in England since completing your ITT
- Access to CPD events arranged and run by specialists in maths education
You may find some answers to your questions in our FAQs.
- Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
- London Mathematical Society
- Royal Statistical Society
- Mathematics in Education and Industry
- The Mathematical Association
- National STEM Learning Centre
We welcome applications from people who can become passionate, knowledgeable and talented teachers to inspire and enthuse future generations.