Undergraduate Student Membership
About the IMA
The IMA is the professional and learned society for mathematicians. We support the advancement of mathematical knowledge and its applications and we engage with Parliament and other organisations to promote mathematical culture for the public good.
We work with universities and businesses to accredit mathematics degrees and to bring together mathematics graduates with employers who are looking for them. We publish eight research journals, and run a diverse programme of conferences. We also award chartered status to individuals who wish to demonstrate commitment to their career.
Support for all maths students
We provide a variety of ways for all maths students to get involved
- All of our branches hold regular events, and these are free for members of the public to attend. See our talks page for more details.
- The IMA site contains information about research, events, networking opportunities and employment.
- The IMA MathsCareers site is very popular and provides information about career planning, work experience, employers and much more.
- We provide support to university maths societies, including the opportunity to apply for a £360 grant towards holding a talk or event. Further information can be found here
- We run a calendar of careers talks at universities and career fairs around the country. See the University Liaison page for more details
- The IMA Early Career Mathematicians Committee organise a Spring and Autumn conference each year. Find out more about attending
- The Tomorrow’s Mathematicians Today conference is specifically for Undergraduates and offers the chance to give a 20 minute presentation on a mathematical topic of your choice. Find out more about Tomorrows Mathematicians Today
Take part as an IMA Student Member
Joining the IMA as a full student member is a solid first step on the path to a career as a mathematician as well as supporting our work to promote mathematics.is a simple process.
To join visit myIMA and create an account, then follow the ‘Join Us’ process. Benefits of full Student Membership include:
- Our member magazine ‘Mathematics Today’ which you will receive six times a year. Student members are welcome to submit letters and articles to the magazine.
- Additional discount on all IMA conferences including a £10 discount on attending Early Career Mathematicians conference.
- Discounted IMA Journal Subscriptions.
- The opportunity to take part in shaping our policy and direction by voting in our elections.
- Student Members receive three years of Associate Membership for £10 a year on graduating from university. This entitles you to use the post nominal letters AMIMA, demonstrating a commitment to professional development which is well received by future employers.
Take part as an eStudent
If you would like to find out more about the work that the IMA does then sign up as an IMA eStudent. The eStudent scheme is free to join and provides the following benefits:
- Bi-monthly newsletter containing a mix of mathematics news and events, careers advice and helpful links. You can get even more involved and submit an article yourself!
- Discounted attendance for our Early Career Mathematicians conference – £5 less than the normal price. Find out about upcoming ECM conferences
University Liaison Scheme
The IMA operates a liaison scheme especially for undergraduates. Erica Tyson is our University Liaison Officer, and she delivers a programme of talks and support to undergraduates around the country. Find out more about the University LIaison scheme and our University grant scheme.