IMA Leslie Fox Prize for Numerical Analysis
The IMA Leslie Fox Prize for Numerical Analysis is a biennial prize established in 1985 by the IMA in honour of mathematician Leslie Fox (1918-1992). Leslie Fox founded the Oxford University Computing Laboratory in 1957 and was the Professor of Numerical Analysis at Oxford from 1963 to 1983. The prize honours “young numerical analysts worldwide” (any person who is less than 31 years old).
Following the call for papers, submissions are reviewed by the Committee who then invite shortlisted candidates to give lectures at the IMA Leslie Fox Prize meeting. First Prize and Second Prizes are awarded based on “mathematical and algorithmic brilliance in tandem with presentational skills.”
The Prize is financially underwritten by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) and administered by the Board of the IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis who appoint the Adjudicating Committee. The organization of each meeting from the call for entries, choice of date and venue, and the adjudication of the prize, is in the hands of the Adjudicating Committee.
The funding for the prize has been obtained by private donations but the interest from the prize fund, particularly with current rates, comes nowhere near covering the cost of the prizes. In view of the close relationship of the Prize to IMAJNA, the IMA has agreed to underwrite the Prize but it is still important for us to build the fund to a self-sustaining level.
Further donations to the Prize Fund are hereby solicited. Donations, with a completed IMA Leslie Fox Prize Donation Form, and related correspondence, should be sent to the address on the form. For UK tax payers, a Gift Aid Declaration is available.
See also advice for UK tax payers on the benefits of making a donation with Gift Aid.
18th IMA Leslie Fox Prize
The 18th IMA Leslie Fox Prize was awarded on Monday June 26th, 2017, in Room JA325 in the John Anderson building, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow G1 1XH, Scotland, just prior to the 27th Biennial Conference on Numerical Analysis. For further details please visit IMA Leslie Fox Prize webpage.
- Nicole Spillane (Ecole Polytechnique)
- Mario Berljafa (KU Leuven)
- Evan Gawlik (University of California, San Diego)
- Robert Gower (Ecole Normale Superieure)
- Lise-Marie Imbert-Gerard (New York University)
- Aretha Teckentrup (University of Edinburgh)
Previous IMA Leslie Fox Prize for Numerical Analysis Winners
Seventeenth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. University of Strathclyde, 22 June, 2015.
- Iain Smears (University of Oxford) &
- Alex Townsend (MIT).
- Patrick Farrell (University of Oxford),
- Olivier Fercoq (Telecom ParisTech),
- John Pearson (University of Kent) &
- Clarice Poon (Cambridge University)
Sixteenth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. ICMS Edinburgh 24 June, 2013.
- Michael Neilan (University of Pittsburgh).
- Ingrid von Glehn (University of Oxford).
- Georges Klein (University of Fribourg).
- Martin Takáč (University of Edinburgh).
- Alex Townsend (University of Oxford).
- Andre Uschmajew (Technische Universität Berlin).
Fifteenth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Manchester 27 June, 2011.
- Yuji Nakatsukasa (University of California, Davis).
- Ben Adcock (Simon Fraser University)
- Arnulf Jentzen (Princeton University)
- Richard Norton (University of Oxford)
- Bart Vandereycken (ETH)
- Konstantinos Zygalakis (University of Oxford)
Fourteenth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Warwick 29 June, 2009.
- Brian Sutton (Randolph-Macon College)
- Stefano Giani (Nottingham University)
- Daan Huybrechs (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven)
- Armin Lechleiter (CMAPX, Polytechnique)
- Colin B. Macdonald (Mathematics, UCLA)
- Liuqiang Zhong (Xiangtan University)
Thirteenth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Oxford 22 June, 2007.
- Ioana Dumitriu (University of Washington)
- Yoichiro Mori (University of British Columbia)
- Timo Betcke (University of Macnchester)
- Laurent Demanet (Stanford University)
- Daniel Kressner (University of Zagreb)
- Emre Mengi (UC San Diego)
- Sheehan Olver (University of Cambridge)
Twelfth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Dundee 27 June, 2005.
- Roland Opfer (Universität Göttingen)
- Paul Tupper (McGill University)
- Lehel Banjai (MPI, Leipzig)
- Coralia Cartis (University of Oxford)
- Johan Hoffman (Chalmers University)
- Fabio Nobile (Politecnico di Milano)
- Adam Oberman (Simon Fraser University)
Eleventh Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Cambridge 20 June, 2003.
- Jared Tanner (University of California at Davis)
- Melvin Leok (California Institute of Technology)
- Adam Oberman (University of Texas)
- Marc Schweitzer (UniversitÃ¤t Bonn)
- Tatjana Stykel (University of Calgary)
- Boris Vexler (UniversitÃ¤t Heidelberg)
Tenth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Oxford 22 June, 2001.
- Anna-Karin Tornberg (KTH Stockholm)
- Tilo Arens (Brunel University)
- Begona Cano (University of Valladolid)
- Eric Darve (Stanford University)
- Jing-Rebecca Li (Courant Institute NYU)
- Dominik Schötzau (University of Minnesota)
- Divakar Viswanath (University of Chicago)
Ninth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Dundee 28 June, 1999.
- Niles Pierce (Caltech)
- Reha Tütüncü (Carnegie-Mellon)
- Aurelian Bejancu (Cambridge)
- Vincent Heuveline (Heidelberg)
- Paul Houston (Oxford)
- Ross Lippert (Sandia National Laboratories)
Eighth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Dundee 23 June, 1997.
- W. Sweldens (Bell Labs)
- T.A. Driscoll (Boulder)
- V. Simoncini (Pavia)
- E. de Sturler (Zurich)
- R.H. Tütüncü (Carnegie-Mellon)
- A. Zanna (Cambridge)
- T. Zhang (Stanford)
Seventh Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Dundee 26 June, 1995.
- A. Hill (Bath)
- X-W. Chang (McGill)
- L. Jay (Minnesota)
- Y. Liu (Cambridge)
- K-C. Toh (Cornell)
- D. Wang (Purdue)
Sixth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Oxford 24 June, 1993.
- Y. Li (Cornell)
- A. Edelman (Berkeley)
- D.J. Higham (Dundee)
- Z. Jia (Bielefeld)
- P. Lin (Oxford)
- R. Mathias (Minneapolis)
Fifth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Dundee 24 June, 1991.
- C.J. Budd (Bristol)
- J.F.B.M. Kraaijevanger (Leiden)
- J. Levesley (Coventry)
- P.D. Loach (Bristol)
- B.F. Smith (Argonne)
- H. Zha (Stanford)
Fourth Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Cambridge 4 September, 1989.
- M. Buhmann (Cambridge)
- B.R.L. DeMoor (Stanford)
- A.M. Stuart (Bath)
- M. Ainsworth (Durham)
- R.H. Chan (Hong Kong)
- A. Edelman (MIT)
- D.J. Higham (Toronto)
Third Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Imperial College. 28 March, 1988.
- N.J. Higham (Manchester)
- T. Hagstrom (SUNY, Stony Brook)
- P.T. Harker (Univ of Pennsylvania)
- I.R.H. Jackson (Cambridge)
- T. Tang (Leeds)
Second Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Imperial College. 5 September, 1986.
- J.W. Demmel (Courant)
- N.I.M. Gould (Harwell)
- J.L. Barlow (Penn State)
- J. Scott (Oxford)
- A.J. Wathen (Bristol)
First Leslie Fox Prize Meeting. Imperial College. 30 August, 1985.
- L.N. Trefethen (MIT)
- N.J. Higham (Manchester)
- S.P.J. Matthews (Dundee)
- P.K. Sweby (Reading)
- Y. Yuan (Cambridge)
Chairpersons of adjudicating committee
- First: Mike Powell
- Second: Ron Mitchell
- Third: John Reid
- Fourth: Bill Morton
- Fifth: John Mason
- Sixth: Nancy Nichols
- Seventh: Charlie Elliott
- Eighth: Christopher Baker
- Ninth: Iain Duff
- Tenth: Nick Trefethen
- Eleventh: Arieh Iserles
- Twelfth: Alastair Spence
- Thirteenth: Endre Süli
- Fourteenth: Andrew Stuart
- Fifteenth: Nick Higham
- Sixteenth: Mark Ainsworth
- Seventeenth: Nick Gould